Ceremony of naming the Library of the Polish Institute Tel Aviv after Ada and Edmund Neustein
On May 12, the ceremony of naming the Library of the Polish Institute in Tel Aviv after Ada and Edmund Neustein
will take place.
The unveiling of the commemorative plaque will take place on May 12 as part of the Polish Heritage Days celebrated in May by Polish
foreign missions around the world.
Naming the library after the Neusteins is a tribute to the role that the late legendary booksellers played for several
decades in the life of the Polish-speaking community in Israel.
The ceremony will take place on May 12 at 11:00 am in the Library of the Polish Institute in Tel Aviv (Beit Psagot,
Rothschild 3, 22nd floor).
Ada and Edmund Neustein were the owners of a bookstore located at 94 Allenby Street in Tel Aviv, operating in the years 1958-2004.
On the occasion of the ceremony, relatives and friends of the Neusteins and lovers of Polish literature who visited the well-known
bookstore, close to the hearts of many Israelis of Polish descent, will gather at the Polish Institute’s Library. The gathered guests will
share their memories of booksellers who undoubtedly played the role of ambassadors of Polish culture in Israel during their lifetime.
Edmund Neustein (1917-2001) was a publisher and bookseller. After the end of World War II, he opened a bookstore in Katowice, and
then another in Warsaw. In 1957, he emigrated to Israel, and in January 1958, together with his wife Ada, he opened a Polish bookstore
at 94 Allenby Street in Tel Aviv. He brought books and magazines from Poland and from the Polish diaspora around the world, and
organized literary events. Soon, the Neustein bookstore became one of the largest centers of Polish culture not only in Israel, but also in
the world, and Neustein himself was awarded several prizes in recognition for promoting Polish culture, including on behalf of the Polish
Cultural Society (1989), the Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1994) and the Ministry of Culture (1994). Edmund Neustein died in 2001
and his wife Ada continued to run the bookstore until her death in 2004.
Photographs from the archives of Jerzy and Hanna Press and Dani Tracz.
photos: Anna Majewska